By the sea - welcome to idyllic Naatali
Naantali is located in southwestern Finland, about 15 kilometers from Turku. It is Finland's most popular tourist city. Its atmosphere includes the charm of the sea and the archipelago and the richness of history and the present. The most important landmark of the city is the Monastery Church and the sea in three directions. The guest marina in the city center, the cozy beach cafés and restaurants create Mediterranean atmosphere. Wooden houses in the Old Town, good places to eat, charming little boutiques, fun alleys, galleries and distinctive inns are the reason why people always return to Naantali.
Naantali is easily accessible from Turku by bus. Buses 11 and 110 depart from Turku Market Square for Naantali via Raisio several times an hour. There is also a frequent bus service from Naantali to Merimasku and Rymättylä.
Turku can be easily reached from different parts of Finland by train or bus.
The nearest passenger stations are Turku (main station) and Kupittaa.
Take the Naantali Highway from Turku (15 km).
Summer is a busy time in Naantali, so parking is often a problem, especially in and around the old town and church. Travellers by car should therefore allow plenty of time for parking and a short walk to the church. The traffic wardens are very strict in Naantali in summer.
Naantali is boater's paradise. The guest marina is located right in the city center - it's just a stone's throw from Naantali Music Festival concert venues.
Located in the heart of Naantali's Old Town, the medieval stone church is the main concert venue of Naantali Music Festival. It has been drawn in the skyline of the city for centuries. The history of the church began on August 23, 1443, when the then King Kristoffer of Sweden-Finland approved the establishment of a Georgian monastery on the lands of the then parish of Raisio. This day is also considered the day of the founding of Naantali, Armonlaakso (the Valley of Mercy), as a city had to be established in connection with the monastery to serve the inhabitants and pilgrims of the monastery. The monastery was officially inaugurated in 1462. For decades Naantali has fall silent to listen the play from the monastery church tower at 8 pm on summer evenings. This call, reminiscent of the time of prayer in the monastery, takes place in three directions: first to the president, then to the old city, and finally to the sea.
Address: Nunnakatu 1, Naantali
Rymättylä Church is located just over 30 kilometers from Turku and about 15 kilometers from the center of Naantali. The stone church dedicated to St. James was built at the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries and the vault was made at the end of the 15th century. The vault built inside the rugged stone walls is acoustically excellent. The whitewashed walls are richly and colorfully decorated. The oldest of the many wooden sculptures in the church dates from the 1350s, the smiling Jaakko from Rymättylä has been preserved in its original colors.
Address: Taipaleentie, Rymättylä
Raisio Church, located near the center of Raisio, is named after St. Martinus, a French bishop who died in 397. According to the recent research the church was built in the early 16th century. According to the story, the church was built by giants Killi and Nalli. This is described, for example, in Sakari Topelius' book Our Land.
Address: Kirkkotie 2, Raisio